Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Nutrition

It has been a while since I have discussed nutrition. So it is time we revisit that subject.

I have documented my struggles with nutrition, on and off, since I began this journey to a stronger, more well built body. And while I have achieved many of my preliminary goals, as a hardgainer nutrition is probably as important as lifting, maybe even more so.

I recently got impatient with my gains and switched from skim milk to whole milk. About that same time we had house guests and my diet slipped a bit from the high protein, high nutrition whole foods I had been eating, to a bit more processed foods. The combination of the two caused my fat gains to go up. I went up to 190 lbs with over 17% body fat.

Since getting back to cleaner eating, and going back to skim milk, I moderated back down to about 188 lbs, and just over 16% body fat. My 34" waist pants are fitting more comfortably. What all this tells me is that I am still gaining muscle, but I have been able to cut back on my fat stores with the cleaner eating.

Here is a typical day of eating for me:

6am: 1/2 cup oatmeal and 1 scoop whey protein in 6 oz skim milk
1 cup of orange juice

90am: 1/2 cup cottage cheese
1 banana
1 serving instant oatmeal

Noon: Venison and brown rice stuffed green pepper
serving of potatoes

3pm: sweet potato (I have recently began eating this with no toppings!)

Pre-workout: 1 scoop whey protein
Post-workout: 1 scoop whey protein and 1/2 cup oatmeal in 6 oz of skim milk.

6:30pm Venison meat-sauce and whole grain pasta
1-2 servings vegetable (usually corn or peas)
12 oz skim milk

9:30pm 2 servings of natural peanut butter and 2 slices whole grain bread

A buddy at work gave me a Muscle and Performance magazine. In an article on the myths surrounding high protein diets was a list of a "A Day In The (PROTEIN-FULL) Life. It goes:

Pre-breakfast: 1 scoop whey protein & 1 cup orange juice

Breakfast: 3 eggs, 1 cup cooked oatmeal, 1 cup raspberries

MidMorning Snack: 1/2 cup reduced fat Greek yogurt & 1 ounce walnuts

Lunch: Tuna salad sandwich(5 oz tuna, 1 tablespoon light mayo 1 cup romaine lettuce, 2 slices whole-wheat bread)

Preworkout: 1 scoop whey protein and 1 apple
Postworkout: 1 scoop whey protein, 1 scoop casein protein, 1 slice white bread, 1 tablespoon jam

Dinner: 8 oz top sirloin steak, 1 cup chopped broccoli, 2 cups salad, 2 tablespoons olive oil and vinegar dressing

Bedtime: 8 ounces cottage cheese and 1 ounce almonds.

The totals on this? 2,497 calories, 246 G of protein, 182 G of carbs, and 90 G of fat.

Not bad. So I will try to mimic this. I am not too keen on the low-fat mayo, nor the white bread in post workout, but I agree with everything else going on here. Sometimes you can go with chicken breast instead of the sirloin, or a salmon steak. Tuna fish straight from the can supplemented with a vegetable would work great in place of the sandwich too. The idea is to try and change it up as much as possible.

So I will continue to track my progress. Supplement wise I did add some L-Glutamine tablets to my daily regimen. And since I am over 40 am considering some DHEA supplementation.

No comments:

Post a Comment