Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Week 15 Workout 1

So yesterday I hit the gym after a week off because of my business trip last week. 190 lb squats, 110 lb bench press, and 125 lb barbell rows. Remember, I made the decision to deload by 10% on all lifts to work on form and to try to break through some plateaus that I've run into.

The squats went well, as is to be expected with the lighter weight. Surprisingly today I can feel it in my gluts, hams, and quads. I guess a week off really affects you. The rack next to me was occupied by a guy doing 1/4 squats if that. After I completed my 5 sets of 5 he asked me how old I was. When I told him 42 he said "you know, the older you get the deeper you squat is bad for your knees."

I tried to grin and move on but he continued to talk about it so finally I said to him "well there is a school of thought that says that partial squats are actually worse for your knees, but everyone is different." Mehdi's words about the "unsolicited advice guy" kept coming to my mind. That's the first time its happened so far, but I am guessing it won't be the last time.

Bench press and barbell rows went fine. I have fallen in love with barbell rows. Such a subtle little lift that works so many muscle groups. I really contribute the definition I am seeing in my back to barbell rows. So now the rest day. Hopefully with proper nutrition my muscles will be sufficiently recovered for tomorrow's workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment