Wednesday, June 1, 2011

200 LB Squats In Less Than 12 Weeks!!!

That's right. I couldn't even wait until tomorrow to post this. I completed 25 reps (5 sets of 5) tonight of 200 lb squats. Here is why this is so exciting to me:

  • I can remember in week 1, squatting the 45 lb bar 5x5 times, and being so sore I almost quit.
  • I can remember squatting 75 lbs on a Friday workout and worrying if 80 lbs would be doable the following Monday.
  • I remember stalling at 150 lbs, then again 155 lbs, and wondering if I was plateauing. 
  • I remember stalling at 175 lbs and really being concerned that I was plateauing.
If you had told me 11 weeks ago that I would be squatting 200 lbs 25 times I wouldn't have believed it. I am now a complete believer in the Strong Lifts 5x5 system. Dedication, perseverance, and determination makes all the difference in any lifting program, but I honestly believe this system is perfectly suited for building strength.

Now the bad news. Stalled at 125 lbs on the bench presses. This wasn't surprising considering how I struggled to complete all 25 reps at 120 lbs. I have decided that I need to get 1.25 lb plates and make 2.5 lbs my new modifier each time on bench and overhead presses. I will continue to do the stall, and deload on those lifts until I can get some 1.25 lb plates.

More good news, after deloading at 130 lbs to work on form on the barbell row, tonight I was able to complete all 25 reps, with good form, on that lift which is again back up to 130 lbs. Now on to 135 lbs. I have been trying to concentrate on Mehdi's advice to lower the bar quickly on this lift. That seems to make a big difference. Now I can move on to the 45 lb plates and not take the time to use plates on the floor to get the proper height.

Nutrition continues to be going well with the new powder. I did make the mistake of trying a full serving of that stuff, with skim milk. 1800 calories, and a bloated feeling for several hours. It will be a long time before I do that again! I think weigh in this week will show that the Serious Mass powder is paying dividends.

200 lb squats! And relatively easily to boot. I can't believe it!

No comments:

Post a Comment