Thursday, March 24, 2011

Workout Session #5 In The Books

Last night was workout #5 in my Strong Lifts 5x5 program. 65 lb squats, 55 lb bench presses, and 75 lbs barbell rows.

Since the weights are a bit heavier (relatively speaking), I started implementing warm-up sets.

For instance, for my squats I did 2x5s with the bare bar. Then I did 1x5 of 55 lbs. Then went into my 5x5s of 65lb. I will keep those warm-up weights for the next couple of weeks.

A concern has started to creep in. As I was doing the 65 lb squats, I started to wonder if I will be ready for heavier weights (100+ lb) when I get to that point. The 65 lb squats, while not extremely difficult, were more laborious than the previous weights. Maybe I am doubting the system, which is to gradually build strength, but we will see.

Today I am not really sore or tight. I think I am past the worst of that. I have a little bit of hip soreness, but I think that is from upping the reps with the warm-ups, not so much the weight. I think as I get used to the warm-up reps then I will be fine.

On the nutrition front I punched what I ate yesterday into fitday.com 3300 calories! 180 grams of protein! Let's see if I can keep that up. To build muscle you need fuel. It was hard eating that much, admittedly, but with brown rice it is easy to pack in the calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment