Tuesday, March 15, 2011

What is Strong Lifts 5x5?

First, a huge thank you to Mehdi for all of his work on Strong Lifts 5x5.

In short, Strong Lifts 5x5 is a workout program. You can find out more information here:

http://stronglifts.com/

I was looking for a workout program that fit my strength level and my schedule. No easy task. I had always done workouts with dumbbells at home, or on machines at the gym. I would incorporate lots of cardio work, as well as natural exercises (IE. crunches, pushups, pullups, etc).

Coupled with a case of severely bad genetics, the results were that while I did get more defined, I always lacked bulk. I just couldn't build muscle. I tried amino acid supplements with my workouts. I tried protein powder supplements. But the problem was I was being counterproductive.

A) I always started out with too much weight.
B) Cardio was counterproductive to the goal of gaining strength and size.
C) My diet was too low on calories, even with the supplements.

So when I decided to start looking for a new way I stumbled across Mehdi site. After reading the preliminaries on his program I signed up for his newsletter and got the free SL5x5 report book. WHAT AN EYE OPENER!

First, it just made sense, everything he said. The reasoning for starting light. The reasoning for concentrating on the 5 exercises in his program. The reasoning for working out every other day at most, and with only the bar at first.

I was sold. I began to look for a gym with three things:

  • Olympic weights
  • Squat rack
  • Affordable fees

I was able to find that in the local Powerhouse Gym near me. Granted there are some monsters in there, and they eye an 167 lb. weakling pretty amusingly. But that won't deter me.

Mehdi sent an email asking if I was going to try. He then sent me a spreadsheet to track my progress through the program. Please see the next blog entry for my first workout results.

No comments:

Post a Comment